Vacancy #: 002129
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 900 EHRA employees and 1,700 SHRA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
- The Assistant Director at Community Service Learning Center (CSLC), Spruce Pine, NC, School of Dental Medicine, East Carolina University, is a full-time (1.0 FTE) faculty member who will provide leadership and supervision of all educational and clinical activities in the Community Service Learning Center (CSLC) while providing a full range of general dentistry services in an underserved community.
- The Assistant Faculty Dentist works in conjunction with the School’s Offices of Extramural Clinical Practices, Clinical Affairs, Academic Affairs, and in collaboration with the offices of Business and Financial Affairs, Dental Education and Informatics, and General Dentistry to support all of the School’s programs and initiatives.
- Additionally, the Assistant Director works closely with other local, state, and regional healthcare organizations to provide information and services related to the CSLC.
- The responsibilities include oversight of the clinical operations, both as a provider and as mentor to dental students and Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) residents.
- The Assistant Director provides primary dental care to eligible patients, maintains and establishes clinical protocols consistent with the standard of care, and works with the business manager by providing leadership in the establishment and direction of a quality assurance program and adherence to infection control standards in the CSLC.
- The Assistant Director also provides leadership in insuring that the CSLC is a state of the art dental education and care delivery facility.
- Responsibilities also include management of all clinically related patient matters and management of paid and volunteer clinical faculty.
- The Assistant Director will be called upon to be “on call” during absences of the CSLC Faculty Dentist to mentor residents and students with after hours care for patients of record only.
- They will also be called upon to fill in for the CSLC Faculty Dentist during periods of leave and illness. This position reports directly to the CSLC Faculty Dentist and to the Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices.
- Working with the Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices and with the CSLC Faculty Dentist in supervision of the CSLC.
- Providing high quality dental care to the patients at the CSLC, directly and while supervising students and residents.
- Guiding patient referrals and follow-up with appropriate personnel.
- Collaborating with other healthcare providers in the clinical setting.
- Working with the Division Chair of General Dentistry and Director of the AEGD Program to facilitate and insure consistency in clinical education and evaluation of fourth year students and AEGD residents assigned to the CSLC.
- Mentoring AEGD residents and fourth year dental students and supervising their clinical education and community service activities.
- Ensuring ongoing compliance with all local, state and federal laws, regulations, and Commission on Dental Accreditation standards.
- Participating in faculty meetings and designated dental school activities required of all part time faculty members.
- Maintaining current dental skills and practicing general dentistry stringently consistent with the philosophy of the school.
- Identifying solutions to local access to healthcare needs and assisting in coordination of community/regional outreach and health promotion programs.
- Working closely with all School of Dental Medicine faculty and staff to ensure that the CSLC is a vibrant and integral part of the dental school.
- Acting as an ambassador for the school while actively participating in local community/regional programs and events.
- Any additional duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Extramural Practices or the Dean.
- DDS or DMD degree is required.
- Complete eligibility for a North Carolina dental license.
- Knowledge and experience in the successful operation of a dental practice, preferably in a rural community.
- Broad knowledge of issues in dental education and the importance of ethics in dentistry.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor dental students and residents.
- Outstanding clinical skills, excellent interpersonal communication and written skills, and a record of building consensus in an academic setting.
- Ability to quickly respond to requests with accuracy, reliability and flexibility; this will often include multi-tasking patient, staff and student affairs.
- Proficiency in the practice of all disciplines of general dentistry, including pediatric dentistry, management and operation of a dental practice, and experience in successfully working with students is required.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
Must be able to obtain NC Dental License.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Advanced education in dentistry (preferably AEGD, GPR or military comprehensive dentistry residency)
- Five years experience in the practice of general dentistry and/or a dental educational environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dental educational/clinical environment.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with interested organizations, agencies, and individuals.
- Demonstrated experience in providing dental treatment for underserved populations.
- Demonstrated experience in building teams to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Experience with pre-doctoral and post-doctoral dental education and life in a rural community.
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 002129 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/35625