Vacancy #: 600094
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 900 EHRA employees and 1,700 SHRA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
General Dentist/Digital Dentistry Faculty in the School of Dental Medicine (SoDM) is responsible for teaching all forms of clinical dentistry to pre- and post-doctoral students.
This position will be in the Department of General Dentistry and reports directly to the Division Director of Pre-Doctoral Clinical Education.
The position works in close cooperation with the Offices of Academic Support, Clinical Affairs, Extramural Clinical Practices and Dental Education and Informatics to support the School’s programs and initiatives.
In addition, the department works closely with other Schools and Colleges of East Carolina University and other components of the University of North Carolina, as well as local/regional educational and clinical programs.
Specific duties include:
- Leading ECU SoDMs training and implementation of digital dentistry.
- Instructing pre and post-doctoral students in the following environments: simulation laboratory, didactic (classroom / seminar), and as an instructor/ advisor in Ross Hall, CSLC and GPR clinics.
- Instructing faculty at Ross Hall, CSLC and GPR clinics in digital dentistry.
- Promoting and advancing the use of digital dentistry for restorative and other disciplines of dentistry.
- Willingness and ability to instruct pre-doctoral students in the clinical setting in procedures pertaining to the General Dentistry Model of the School of Dental Medicine.
- Helping ensure dental students are competent in the management of patients requiring all disciplines of dentistry.
- Serving on committees and boards within the school.
- Actively engaging in community service with students/residents.
- This position will educate students in both a community-based and a generalist model of dental education.
- Conducting basic and/or clinical research, and other scholarly activities will be an expectation of this position.
- Responding to assignments from the Director of Pre-Doctoral Clinical Education, Chair of General Dentistry, Associate Dean of Extramural Clinical Practices, and any other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School of Dental Medicine that are essential to division’s and school’s operations.
- DDS or DMD from a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited institution.
- Eligibility for a North Carolina dental license.
- Five years of dental General Practice experience.
- Two years experience teaching CEREC or similar digital dental technology.
- Demonstrated commitment to voluntary community service.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
- Eligible for NC Dental License
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Instructor certification in CEREC or similar digital dental technology.
- Willingness to learn and develop the skills to prepare and teach pre-clinical General Dentistry.
- Commitment to evidence-based teaching and practice.
- Willingness to apply academic experiences of contemporary dental education and traditional educational values to the Service Learning model.
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 600094 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/35617