Vacancy #: 000963
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 900 EHRA employees and 1,700 SHRA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty is responsible for educating predoctoral dental students and advanced education residents (AEGD, GPR and Pediatric Dentistry programs) at the School of Dental Medicine in the discipline of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty is appointed in the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery within the Department of Surgical Sciences. The Department of Surgical Sciences also includes the specialties of Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, and Periodontology, along with Emergency Dentistry. The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty reports directly to the Division Director of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The Division and Department work in close collaboration with the other Departments (Foundational Sciences, General Dentistry, and Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics) and with the Offices of Clinical Affairs, Dental Education and Informatics, Educational Support and Faculty Development, Extramural Clinical Practices, Student Affairs, and Research to support the School’s educational programs, initiatives and mission. In addition, the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Division works closely with other Schools and Colleges of East Carolina University and other components of the University of North Carolina, as well as local/regional educational and clinical programs, including Vidant Medical Center.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty supports the development, implementation and delivery of innovative curricula and instruction to dental students and residents at the School of Dental Medicine. The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty actively participates in the delivery of patient care and the generation of new knowledge via research and scholarly activities. The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty is committed to service and engagement at the local, State and/or national level.
Specific duties include:
- Provision of instruction in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to predoctoral dental students in the didactic, preclinical and clinical settings within a General Dentistry teaching model.
- Assessment of student achievement of competencies (knowledge, values and skills) expected of the independent general dentist (graduate), including hard and soft tissue oral surgery.
- Provision of instruction in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to advanced education residents in interdisciplinary, didactic seminars and in the clinic.
- Provision of direct patient care including maxillofacial trauma, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, TMJ disorders, pathology and reconstruction, moderate conscious sedation, dentoalveolar surgery and dental implants.
- Participate as a member of the Craniofacial Team and the Facial Trauma Team with interdisciplinary partners from the Brody School of Medicine, Vidant Medical Center and other ECU Health Sciences units.
- Working closely with the Division Director, Department Chair and the Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics to develop, implement and deliver novel curricula to include active learning strategies and information technologies.
- Assisting the Division Director, Department Chair and Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs in continuous quality improvement and compliance efforts.
- Conducting basic and/or clinical research, and other scholarly activities that will help qualify the candidate for appropriate promotion.
- Service on committees and boards for state/federal government agencies, professional societies, and within the School and University.
- Preparation of accreditation and other program documentation as needed.
- Attending meetings and representing the School in internal and external venues as requested by the Division Director, Department Chair or the Dean.
- Performing other duties and assuming additional responsibilities as assigned by the Division Director, Department Chair or the Dean.
- Fixed-term or tenure-track position is available at the title/rank of Assistant Professor or higher.
- DDS or DMD (or equivalent) from an appropriately accredited institution with expertise in dental education.
- Completion of an advanced specialty education program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- Eligibility for dental licensure in North Carolina.
- Eligibility for credentialing with Vidant Medical Center.
- Board certification or eligibility with the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Broad knowledge of dental education.
- Commitment to evidence-based teaching and practice.
- Commitment to the Mission and Vision of the School of Dental Medicine including both a community-based and a generalist model of dental education.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
Eligibility for dental licensure in North Carolina.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Experience in teaching using a variety of educational techniques and instructional technologies.
- Experience in research or scholarly activities.
- Experience with digital record keeping, imaging and/or grading.
- Experience in preparing and teaching preclinical and clinical aspects of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 000963 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/32004